XRF Analyzers and XRD Analyzers
Terra Portable XRD
TERRA Portable XRD System
The Terra Mobile XRD System, a high performing, completely contained, battery operated, closed-beam portable XRD, provides full phase ID of major, minor and trace components with a quick XRF scan of elements Ca - U. Its unique, minimal sample prep technique and sample chamber allow for fast, in-field analysis.
Patented Technology From NASA and Olympus
Initially conceived to perform chemical and mineralogical testing for NASA’s Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) mission, Olympus’ Terra is a rugged, fully portable field instrument which harnesses advanced dual XRD/XRF technology and renders it for earthbound applications. Combining both Olympus and NASA innovation, Terra brings to life a new way of performing X-ray diffraction and X-ray fluorescence measurements.
Using a specifically developed direct excitation charge coupled device (CCD) “camera”, Terra is able to collect X-ray photon data for both X-ray diffraction and X-ray fluorescence simultaneously. This is the result of the integrated camera’s ability to detect both photon position and photon energy at the same time. With energy resolution of ~200 eV (5.9 keV), Terra makes XRF analysis as simple as viewing the software spectrum display.
Easy Sample Preparation
Terra radically simplifies sample collection for your X-ray diffraction experiments. Typically, a sample must be finely ground and pressed into a pellet in order to ensure a sufficiently random orientation of the crystals.
Terra’s patented sample vibration chamber eliminates this issue. Requiring a mere 15 mg sample, the vibration chamber’s convection process presents the instrument optics with multifarious orientations of the crystalline structure. This results in a superb X-ray diffraction pattern, virtually free of the problematic preferred-orientation effects encountered when using classic preparation methods.
Due to its unique powder-handling system, nonmechanical goniometers, and lack of complicated moving parts, Terra is extremely well suited for those applications where field portability and/or ease of use is at issue.
X-ray Diffraction Data
X-ray Fluorescence Data
Search/Match & XRD Quantitative Analysis Software Included
Terra is shipped with the necessary software (XPowder) for processing the resulting X-ray diffraction data. This includes the AMSCD mineral database. Should the user wish, XPowder provides the ability to use the ICDD Powder Diffraction Files (PDF).
For quantitative analysis, XPowder comes complete with reference intensity ratio (RIR) quantitative analysis methods as well as full-pattern analysis tools.
Furthermore, Terra provides XRD pattern data in a variety of file formats, making XRD pattern interpretation in third-party programs easily accessible.
Terra operates off software embedded in the unit itself. The user accesses the operating system through a wireless connection (802.11b/g). This remote operation method allows for a wide degree of flexibility in controlling the instrument and subsequent data handling.
|XRD resolution||0.25° 2θ FWHM|
|XRD range||5-55° 2θ|
|Detector type||1024 × 256 pixels - 2D Peltier-cooled CCD|
|XRF energy resolution||250 eV at 5.9 keV|
|XRF energy range||3 to 25 keV|
|Sample grain size||<150 μm crushed minerals - (100 mesh screen, 150 μm)|
|Sample quantity||~15 mg|
|X-ray target material||Cu or Co (Cu standard)|
|X-ray tube voltage||30 kV|
|X-ray tube power||10 W|
|Data Storage||40 GB - Ruggedized internal hard drive|
|Wireless Connectivity||802.11b/g for remote control from web browser|
|Operating Temperature||-10 °C to 35 °C|
|Weight||14.5 kg with four batteries|
|Size||48.5 cm × 39.2 cm × 19.2 cm (19.1 in. × 15.4 in. × 7.6 in.)|
|Enclosure||IP67, MIL C-4150J rugged case|
|Field autonomy||~4 hours (hot swap batteries)|
Portable XRD/XRF has completely revolutionized geochemical exploration, mine grade control, metallurgical and process analysis, on-site HAZMAT inspections and in-field counterfeit pharmaceutical determinations. The Terra's high quality data and speed of analysis delivers quantitative real-time compositional chemistry, right at the point of the sample location, where you need it most.
Mining & Ores
- Iron Ore - Quickly analyze iron rich ore with Xpowder's Reference Intenstiy Ratios to automatically generate quantitative compositions of the samples even when certain phases are completely absent - quartz, hematite, goethite, magnetite & more
- Calcite in Coal - Quantify calcite (CaCO3), a mineral identified as reducing the efficiency of the raw material fuel in a coal-fired plant, to improve efficiency and reduce carbon emissions
- Potash - Analyze potash for phase identification and semiquantitative analysis of identified minerals such as sylvite, halite, langbenite and leonite. For further refinement, Sietronics Siroquant is available
- Limestone & Cement - Easily perform quantitative analysis of common minerals associated with limestone - alpha-quartz, asbestos minerals, calcite, dolomite and more. In cases where the quarry contains various levels of dolomite, the Terra quickly determines this mineral in the range of 0.50 to 9.0% with an error of only 0.02%.
- Mudlogging - Perform mineral ID and quantification on shale cuttings in the field for rapid feedback at drilling sites - simplify "chasing the vein" of a given mineral strata
- Pipelines - Terra Smart Sense allows optimum peak-to-background performance to identify and quantify corrosion materials on pipelines; simultaneous XRF measurements give rapid identification of elemental constituents
- Easily reanalyze mine tailings to determine mill performance or evaluate historical projects
- Rapidly ID dangerous hazardous materials on-site for local & global security
- Identify explosives, fusing materials & accelerants on location
- ID & quantify suspected hazardous materials: azide's PETN, black powder's KClO3, KClO4 & KNO3, flash powder's KClO3 & cascandite
- Quickly identify asbestos containing insulation in the field
- Rapid ID of counterfeit pharmaceuticals
- Fast, non-destructive fingerprinting of drug formulations & precursors
- Test for presence and quantity of active and inactive, foreign or substitute ingredients
- Fast XRD screening ensures patient safety and safeguards legitimate pharmaceutical manufacturers' branding