Surface Mount Inspection Probes
A simple and cost-effective tool for inspection of the quality of solder bonds beneath surface mount components.
'There's never been a quicker, more comfortable and effective way to inspect beneath electronic components'
SolView is a simple and cost-effective tool for inspection of the quality of solder bonds beneath surface mount components. Battery power eliminates the need for external power supplies, making this a truly portable system.
Inspection of printed circuit board assemblies is vital for PCB and original equipment manufacturers for quality control purposes, instilling confidence in the integrity of their soldering processes and delivering improved product reliability. Previously, however, the initial high costs of specialist inspection equipment have been a deterrent to investment for many manufacturers, leaving end users to suffer the consequences.
To overcome this potential problem, Olympus has created a cost-effective solution with SolView - a versatile inspection probe that provides instant visual feedback to meet the most stringent user requirements in a wide range of manufacturing environments, including cell phones, PDAs, entertainment systems, audio/visual products and military applications.
The following through-probe images illustrate the optical capabilities of SolView. In the examples below two J-lead devices are captured via an Olympus Camedia Digital Camera. The left hand image displays a joint with excess solder and the image on the right displays a misplaced component.
Two SolView probes are available - the lateral viewing SolView-90, and the direct viewing SolView-00. Light emitting diodes (LEDs) illuminate the area of interest and SolView-90 is supplied with an easy-to-attach back light to provide additional illumination to the rear of the component. The two models cater for all inspection requirements by allowing the user to view either perpendicular to the solder bonds or from alternate angles for a profile view.
SolView is a truly portable system and requires just two LR6/AA batteries, allowing at least 8 hours operating time.
- Two models - direct and lateral viewing
- Hand held, visual inspection probes
- Excellent optical performance
- LED illumination
- Removable back light illuminator
- Variable focus control
- Strap attachment
- Anti-roll supports
- Only two AA batteries required for full portability
- Ergonomic design
- Digital CCTV compatibility
- No additional equipment required for full operation and maintenance
SolView in itself provides a complete working system, however ancillary equipment is available to meet more sophisticated inspection requirements.
- CCTV equipment can easily be attached to SolView via C-mount adapter
- The Olympus range of Camedia digital cameras can also be attached to SolView via an adapter
- Image capture and record can be achieved through i-SAVE portable image capture unit
- Laboratory bench stand securely holds SolView when not in use
|Model||Field of View (FOV)||Depth of Field (DOF)||Tip Footprint||Tip Length||Entrance Pupil Height|
|SolView-00||45 o Degrees||0.5mm to infinity||6.05mm x 1.65mm||11.5mm||0.3mm|
|SolView-90||45 o Degrees||0.5mm to infinity||4.65mm x 1.65mm||11.5mm||0.3mm|
Note: Both models have variable diopter focus control from 0 to -4.
- 2 x LR6 (AA) batteries are required for operation and provide 8 hours run time. Can take either non-rechargeable or rechargeable batteries.
- The back light illuminator is only available for SolView-90. The range span of this back light is 4mm to 50mm.
- SolView eyepiece is industry standard 32mm type.
- Dimensions of SolView are 44mm maximum diameter by 177mm long.
Note: SolView is electrostatically safe (ESD).