The pocket-sized 35 series is a handheld ultrasonic thickness gage for precision measurements on metal, plastic, rubber, glass, and composites using single element transducers. Wide thickness range from 0.08 mm to 635.0 mm (0.0030 in. to 25.0 in.) Optional live Waveform and Adjust Mode.
• Velocity and Reduction Rate measurements are standard on all models
• Wide thickness range from 0.08 mm to 635.0 mm (0.0030 in. to 25.0 in.) depending on instrument and material
• Uses contact, delay line, and immersion transducers
• Application Auto-Recall with default and custom setups
• Hand-held; weighs only 0.24 kg (8.5 oz)
• Min/Max Mode
• Hi-Low alarm
• English and metric display (inches/mm)
• Multi-language user interface
• Long battery life
35 and 35DL are used in the majority of applications
The 35 and 35DL can use transducers ranging from 2.25 to 30 MHz, which means that these versatile gages can solve the majority of thickness gaging applications, from very thin to very thick. In general, transducers with higher frequencies and smaller diameters allow measurements of thinner or curved parts and enhance the accuracy of the measurement.
• most materials, from thin to thick
• plastic bottles, tubes, pipes, sheets as thin as 0.08 mm (or 0.003 inch)
• metal containers, steel coils, machined parts as thin as 0.10 mm (or 0.004 inch)
• cylinder bores, turbine blades
• glass bulbs, bottles
• thin fiberglass, rubber, ceramics, and composite materials
• curved areas or containers with small radii
• resolution up to 0.001 mm or 0.0001 in.
With a very low ultrasonic frequency bandwidth and a special pulser-receiver, the HP gages are specifically designed to optimize ultrasound penetration when measuring thick, highly sound attenuating or sound scattering materials. Typically these materials cannot be measured with most other ultrasonic thickness gages.
• most thick or sound-attenuating materials
• thick cast metal parts
• thick rubber tires, belts
• fiberglass boat hulls, storage tanks
• composite panels
• resolution of 0.01 mm or 0.001 in.
Why HP gages
For more than three decades, we have developed the HP (High Penetration) series specifically for very sound-attenuating or thick materials. Not only can these gages use transducers as low as 0.5 MHz but their electronics (pulser-receiver) are highly optimized to process signals at these low frequencies. The result is that the Panametrics-NDT gages have earned a reputation for superior performance in measuring thick rubber, fiberglass, composites, and other tough materials.
Reduction Rate Measurements
Differential Mode and Reduction Rate Mode are standard features on all models. Differential Mode shows the thickness variation from a pre-set thickness value. Reduction Rate calculates and displays the percent of thickness reduction after a material thinning process. A typical application is automotive sheet steel that is bent and formed to make car body panels.
Material Sound Velocity Measurements
All Panametrics 35 models have the capability to make material sound velocity measurements. This standard feature is useful in applications where the speed of the sound within the material can be correlated to other properties. Typical applications include cast metals to monitor the degree of nodularity, and composites/fiberglass to monitor variations in density. Olympus offers a digital caliper for automatic transfer of measurement thickness.
Application Auto-Recall Simplifies Gaging
Application Auto-Recall simplifies making thickness measurements. Select any of the stored transducers and the 35 gages recall all relevant internal transducer parameters.
Stored Standard SetupsStandard setups include most commonly used transducers.
Stored Custom SetupsJust in case your special application problem cannot be solved with a Standard Setup, these gages can create, store, and recall as many as 20 Custom Setups (10 with the 35 and 35HP).
Ultrasonic measurements are accurate, reliable, and repeatable. Instant digital readings can be achieved by transmitting sound into just one side of a material, making it unnecessary to cut or destroy parts where the opposite side is difficult to reach and where micrometers or other inspection tools cannot do the job.
Optional 35PCSCOPE interface software permits the instant display of live ultrasonic waveforms and thickness readings directly on your computer screen. This is helpful when setup parameters require closer examination.
An optional Live Waveform Mode on all models permits the user to view the ultrasound waveform (or A-scan) directly on the gage's display to make sure the thickness reading is correct. The Adjust Mode feature facilitates transducer setup adjustments to maximize measurement performance for challenging applications.
• High pixel density LCD renders sharp trace of live waveform
• Permits real-time verification of thickness readings
• Helps solve many difficult applications
• A Range, Delay, or Zoom allow enlarging and centering to any section of the waveform
• Permits adjustments of transducer setup parameters
• Stores waveforms in data logger and transfers to PC
The GageView and GageView Pro Interface Programs are Windows-based applications that collect, create, manage, and print data from Olympus thickness gages and flaw detectors.
GageView is compatible with gage models 35DL, 35DLHP, and MG2-DL. It provides the following capabilities:
GageView Pro is compatible with flaw detector models Epoch 4, Epoch 4B, Epoch LT, Epoch 4 PLUS, and Epoch XT, as well as the gage models listed above. When used with flaw detectors, GageView Pro provides the following capabilities:
Olympus NDT offers a complete selection of transducers, cables, couplants, calibration test blocks, and accessories to meet a wide variety of ultrasonic precision thickness gaging applications.
Microscan transducer part numbers reflect the connector designation:
RM = Right Angle Microdot®
SM = Straight Microdot
RB = Right Angle BNC
SB = Straight BNC
SU = Straight UHF
When selecting a transducer, please review the chart below or consult the Transducer Frequency Range in the Instruction Manual that was shipped with your gage.